Welcome to the Department of Computer Science at Lafayette College!
Our society’s dependence on computers is ever growing. As the nature of industry, education, and lifestyles in this emerging world takes form, there has been an increased emphasis and need to understand the role of computers as problem solving machines. Computer science—the study of algorithms and their implementations—remains one of the key fields upon which this exciting future will be constructed.
The intellectual challenge of a new science is one of the reasons that computer science has generated so much excitement. New ideas are constantly being explored, new tools are being developed, and new questions being asked. Society increasingly rests upon a computer-oriented keystone, making computer science a vital, fresh, and new field. More than 99 percent of the computer scientists who have ever lived are still alive today.
Indeed, the industrial reliance on computer scientists is unceasing, and the need for innovative approaches to new problems has never been greater. Likewise, the use of computers in everyday life has changed our approach to education, both from within the field and in all facets of lifelong learning. And as computing grows more embedded within our society, we can see a number of shifts in lifestyle quality and the advancement and betterment of our everyday lives.
In the Department of Computer Science, students gain the knowledge and skills necessary for effective participation in the developing technological revolution.
- Brain Scans Pinpoint Individuals from a Crowd October 13, 2015
- With Court Order, Federal Judge Seeks to Fuel Debate About Data Encryption October 13, 2015
- NSF Awards $74.5 Million to Support Interdisciplinary Cybersecurity Research October 13, 2015
- Fragment of Rat Brain Simulated in Supercomputer October 13, 2015
- Bioinspired Robotic Finger Advances Prosthetics Technology October 13, 2015
506 Acopian Engineering Center