Welcome to the Department of Computer Science at Lafayette College!
Our society’s dependence on computers is ever growing. As the nature of industry, education, and lifestyles in this emerging world takes form, there has been an increased emphasis and need to understand computers’ role as problem-solving machines. Computer science—that is, the study of algorithms and their implementations—remains one of the key fields upon which this exciting future will be constructed.
The intellectual challenge of a new science is one of the reasons that computer science has generated so much excitement. New ideas are constantly being explored, new tools being developed, and new questions being asked. Although—and because—society increasingly rests upon a computer-oriented keystone, computer science itself is a vital, fresh, and new field. Over 99% of the computer scientists who have ever lived are still alive today!
Indeed, the industrial reliance on computer scientists is unceasing, and the need for innovative approaches to new problems has never been greater. Likewise, the use of computers in everyday life has changed our approach to education, both from within the field and in all facets of lifelong learning. And as computing grows more embedded within our society, we can see a number of shifts in lifestyle quality and the advancement and betterment of our everyday lives.
In the Department of Computer Science, students learn the knowledge and skills necessary for effective participation in the developing technological revolution.
- Identifying Signs of Chronic Brain Injury in Living Football Players December 6, 2013
- Moore's Law Isn't Making Chips Cheaper Anymore December 6, 2013
- Someone's Been Siphoning Data Through a Huge Security Hole in the Internet December 6, 2013
- Data Mining Reveals the Secret to Getting Good Answers December 6, 2013
- Can You Read My Mind? UC Researchers Engineer the Framework for Helpful Robots With Human Intuition December 6, 2013
516 Acopian Engineering Center