Welcome to the Department of Computer Science at Lafayette College!
Our society’s dependence on computers is ever growing. As the nature of industry, education, and lifestyles in this emerging world takes form, there has been an increased emphasis and need to understand the role of computer as problem solving machines. Computer science—the study of algorithms and their implementations—remains one of the key fields upon which this exciting future will be constructed.
The intellectual challenge of a new science is one of the reasons that computer science has generated so much excitement. New ideas are constantly being explored, new tools are being developed, and new questions being asked. Society increasingly rests upon a computer-oriented keystone, making computer science a vital, fresh, and new field. More than 99 percent of the computer scientists who have ever lived are still alive today.
Indeed, the industrial reliance on computer scientists is unceasing, and the need for innovative approaches to new problems has never been greater. Likewise, the use of computers in everyday life has changed our approach to education, both from within the field and in all facets of lifelong learning. And as computing grows more embedded within our society, we can see a number of shifts in lifestyle quality and the advancement and betterment of our everyday lives.
In the Department of Computer Science, students gain the knowledge and skills necessary for effective participation in the developing technological revolution.
- Stanford to Host 100-Year Study on Artificial Intelligence December 17, 2014
- As Robots Grow Smarter, American Workers Struggle to Keep Up December 17, 2014
- CODE2040 Helps Tech Plan for a Non-White-Majority USA December 17, 2014
- Why Neural Networks Look Set to Thrash the Best Human Go Players for the First Time December 17, 2014
- Venus Express Goes Gently Into the Night December 17, 2014
516 Acopian Engineering Center