Welcome to the Department of Computer Science at Lafayette College!
Our society’s dependence on computers is ever growing. As the nature of industry, education, and lifestyles in this emerging world takes form, there has been an increased emphasis and need to understand the role of computer as problem solving machines. Computer science—the study of algorithms and their implementations—remains one of the key fields upon which this exciting future will be constructed.
The intellectual challenge of a new science is one of the reasons that computer science has generated so much excitement. New ideas are constantly being explored, new tools are being developed, and new questions being asked. Society increasingly rests upon a computer-oriented keystone, making computer science a vital, fresh, and new field. More than 99 percent of the computer scientists who have ever lived are still alive today.
Indeed, the industrial reliance on computer scientists is unceasing, and the need for innovative approaches to new problems has never been greater. Likewise, the use of computers in everyday life has changed our approach to education, both from within the field and in all facets of lifelong learning. And as computing grows more embedded within our society, we can see a number of shifts in lifestyle quality and the advancement and betterment of our everyday lives.
In the Department of Computer Science, students gain the knowledge and skills necessary for effective participation in the developing technological revolution.
- Quantum Internet Could Keep Us Safe from Spying Eyes September 19, 2014
- Microsoft Shuts Down Silicon Valley Research Lab, Amid Broader Layoffs September 19, 2014
- Visualizing 4-Dimensional Asteroids September 19, 2014
- Boosting Hispanic Share of Tech Workforce Could Be Key to Closing STEM Gap September 19, 2014
- Sensors Everywhere Could Mean Privacy Nowhere, Expert Says September 19, 2014
516 Acopian Engineering Center